Sliced raw onions are often used in dishes such as salads and sandwiches in Japan. It is a very healthy vegetable with excellent nutritional value. Fresh, quick and easy to add as a side dish, or in this instance, one of the featured main stars!
This recipe can be can be made gluten free if substituted with gluten free soy sauce. It is vegetarian if made without the dried bonito flakes.
PREPARATION: 5 MIN | READY IN: 10 MIN
Ingredients (4 serves)
- 1C homegrown alfalfa
- 2C daikon (sliced very fine)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 spanish onion (sliced very fine)
- some dried bonito flakes (optional)
- 1-2 chilli (optional)
- 2 tbsp crispy garlic
Dressing (Ponzu dressing)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sake
- 1/2 juiced lemon
- Slice onion and daikon very thinly. Use slicer if you have it. Put sliced onion and daikon in water with salt (about 1/4 tsp) and leave for 10 minutes or so. Squeeze excess water and dry with a paper towel.
- Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, mirin and sake well in a bowl.
- Toss onion, daikon and homegrown alfalfa with some dried bonito flakes. Add ponzu dressing and mix gently.
- Sprinkle crispy garlic to give a little texture to it!