Nasu dengaku is a classic Japanese side dish made with eggplant sliced in half, scored and brushed with a sweet and savoury miso glaze. The eggplant is traditionally grilled over a fire in Japan. Here in Australia we grill in the oven! Our version includes adding homegrown purple daikon radish sprout for a crunchy texture.
PREPARATION: 5 MIN | COOKING: 2 MIN | READY IN: 8 MIN
Ingredients (2 serves)
- 1/2C homegrown microgreens purple radish sprouts
- 2 small eggplants
- 150g firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp miso (we used brown rice miso from Enokido)
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Preheat grill oven to 180 ℃.
- Slice eggplant in half and using a knife, score the inside into small squares and brush on some sesame oil.
- Roast in the oven until eggplant is cooked though. (8-10 minutes)
- Mix all miso sauce ingredients.
- On top of the eggplant, brush miso sauce and roast in the oven for 5 mins until it bubbles.
- Remove eggplants from the oven and sprinkle roasted sesame seeds and homegrown microgreen purple radish sprouts on top.
- Enjoy your easy and tasty meal.