Get transported to the bustling streets of Japan with this easy to make and delicious ramen with freshly grown bean sprouts.
PREPARATION: 20 MIN | COOKING: 30 MIN | READY IN: 30 MIN
Ingredients (2 serves)
- Instant ramen ”Tonkotu ramen” from Marutai for 2 serves
Chicken chashu (marinated chicken)
- 2 chicken thighs with/out skin
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2cm fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1C sake
- 1C soy sauce
- 3 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
Nitamago (marinated egg)
- 2 eggs, medium sized
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp sake
- 7g caster sugar
- 4 stalks spring onions, sliced finely
- Some Delicious Crispy Shallots or Delicious Fried Garlic
- 2C homegrown bean sprouts
- 1/2 sheet nori (dried laver seaweed) cut in half
Making the chicken chashu
- Roll the chicken thighs, skin side out, into tight rolls with cooking string.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add sesame oil and cook rolled chicken for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Add all sauce ingredients to the pot and bring to boil, then reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer, uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let it cool to room temperature. To let the flavours soak in evenly, rotate the chicken in the seasoning liquid regularly.
- Remove and discard the cooking string. Cut the chicken chashu into approx. 5mm slices.
Making the nitamago
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil.
- Gently add the eggs, and reduce the water to medium heat and cook for 6 and half minutes.
- In a bowl, mix soy, mirin, sake and sugar, and place the cooked and peeled eggs in.
- Eggs should be fully covered or kept in zip-lock bag which can keep them fully immersed in the tare mix for at least 15 minutes or more.
- Cut the eggs in half to serve.
- Cook ramen noodle according to the instruction of the package.
- At same time, prepare the broth and pour to the bowl.
- Place the toppings on the ramen and serve immediately.
Optional – Make it to your flavour
- Fresh chilli or chilli flakes
- Chilli oil
- Cooked corns
For this recipe we have use instant noodles “Marutai” – Hakata or Ooita
For the gluten free option, we suggest using pumpkin noodle (can be purchased at any grocers with a Japanese section)