Black pearl mungbean sprouting seeds
Our black pearl mungbeans is a variety of black gram. Black gram (Vigna mungo) is a close relative to green mungbean (Vigna radiata) but with a black seed coat and white kernel. It has distinctly different biology to green mungbean which gives the black pearl mungbeans a stronger flavour compared to the traditional green mungbean. The crunchy and fragrantly sweet sprouts are a good source of protein, vitamin C, B and folic acid. They’re also high in fibre and great source of potassium.
Read our latest recipe using mungbeans and alfalfa sprouting seeds.
Grow your own!
Our sustainable seed bags are made from a natural woven blend of cotton and muslin. For longer seed shelf life please store the seeds in an airtight container.
Please note: Seeds are NOT available for purchase if your delivery address is in WA or TAS due to quarantine restrictions.
- Non Detected Chemical Residue * NATA Laboratory Tested
- Microbiologically tested. (Free of pathogens, e-coli, salmonella and listeria)
- No chemical seed coating
- Open pollinated
- Germination +95%
- Seed Purity +98%
Days to maturity
2-3 days for baby mungbean sprouts.
5-8 days in the dark for longer bean sprouts.
Jars, trays and sprouting bags.
How to sprout black pearl baby mungbean seeds
Our growing instructions are based on jar and strainer method:
- Add 4-6 tbsp of seeds to your jar, cover seeds with 400ml of water. Swoosh around to agitate seeds and tip water out to clean the seeds.
- Add 400ml of water and allow the seeds to soak for 4-6 hours.
- After soaking drain water by tipping the jar upside down using the strainer lid.
- Sit the jar in a tilted resting position throughout the growing period, away from direct sunlight.
- Water the sprouts minimum 2 times a day during a 8-10 hours period. For better results water the sprouts 3-4 times per day.
- First flush, rinse sprouts and drain. Repeat for a second rinse with fresh water for a few minutes. Extra water may be required on hotter days/more humid conditions.
- Drain and place jar back in resting position.
- Repeat Growing Steps 2 and 3, the rinsing and draining process 2-4 times daily till the seeds are ready for harvest.
- Short, white tails will emerge on Day 2 and will continue to grow everyday.
Harvest at your desired length. Wash and drain the leftovers and place in a clean container. The sprouts can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.