Lama's Authentic Mediterranean Rice with Salad Seeds October 26 2016
Our good friend Sharon has a very talent neighbour, the lovely Lama who kindly shared her family recipe with us :) Sydney Sprout's Salad Seeds is the perfect addition to the aromatic and slightly sweet rice - we had seconds and thirds!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 chicken thigh fillets
- 1 eschallot or small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (diced into small cubes)
- Handful of mushrooms
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Small handful of sultanas
- 1 tbsp glee or olive oil
- 1 tsp baharat - Arabic spice
- 2 cups of chicken stock or water
- Salt to taste
- Heat up ghee/olive oil in the pan.
- Pan sear chicken till golden brown on both sides. Set aside to cool on a separate plate. (Don't worry if it's slightly undercooked as it will be tossed back in the pan again later)
- In the same pan, cook the onions in the leftover chicken juice. Allow the onions to sweat.
- Add in carrots and toss with onions until soft.
- While the carrots and onions are cooking, roughly tear the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Add in spice and toss with onion and carrots. Add in mushrooms, sultanas, tomato paste and basmati rice. Stir a little and then add the chicken broth or water. Stir well.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to a minimum and wait for the rice to cook (usually about 12 - 15 mins) with lid on. (allow for a small gap for the steam to escape)
- Once cooked, fluff the rice up and add a handful of Moroccan Salad Seeds for the crunch and finishing touch. The Moroccan spices in the salad seeds adds another depth of flavour to the baharat.
- Serve immediately.
As a side dish we assembled a quick onion salad using onion sprouts and eschallots with a dash of extra virgin oil and a squeeze of lemon. You might also like to try a side of Lebanese salad or mint yoghurt!